Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Talk about out of my comfort zone...

This is my Haitian Sunrise for hope....read on...

So I've hit that point where I've officially been here for a solid week. What does this mean?

Well I'm clear on the work that we're doing...which no matter how you frame it...is boring. But thats ok, we can get over that obstacle.

We have also had all delusions about the amount of files we have to input blown away. We've already input 549 groups of 5 people (2745 accounts) and now we are working on our 2nd drawer of 5 drawers in 5 filing cabinets (a lot). It looks like we'll be in Gonayiv for a lot longer.

This fact is sad. I was looking forward to going to the more rural areas of Haiti. I was thinking/hoping to feel more comfortable there. Hence the title of this post. Gonayiv is WAY out of my comfort zone!!! But I'm glad to be pushing myself.

Today we took a tour of Gonayiv and saw the hospital, the Bishop's house (which was gorgeous next to all of these very typical developing country homes), the port, and the general lay of the town. It was very interesting. Although we seem more interesting to the people living here.

Which is another thing to push me out of my comfort zone: the stares...we are stared at EVERYWHERE!!!! By EVERYONE!!!! It is intense and really uncomfortable. The others I am with are starting to get used to it, but I can't...way too much.

Everywhere we go, we go with our driver/guard/all around keeper, which is best for our safety in a town with a history of upheaval (almost as bad as Port au Prince), however is difficult for someone as independent as me. I'm not used to following the herd, as most of you know ;)!

And last, the language. Here they speak Creole. I do not. We are always with people who speak both, however it is very hard when you can't speak for yourself or understand what is going on around you. I have been fortunate to travel to countries where either English or Spanish (both of which I speak). When I was in Mexico it was so easy for me to get along, here it is a struggle.

So these are my struggles right now, which pale in comparison to the struggles of the Haitian people that I am trying to learn about. Anyway, sorry this post is kind of a bummer but its been a tough day for the Haitian crew. Tomorrow we are coming in late which will be a much needed rest from work for a little while.

Missing everyone today!!! 17 days until I'm home!

1 Comments:

Blogger perkykoala said...

I totally know what you're talking about w\ the stares, and yeah, you eventually get used to it, but it takes longer for some to get used to it than others, so don't be hard on yourself for that. If it makes you feel any better, I've found myself staring at white people whenever I see one (to see if I know the person, because chances are that I do if it's around where I live), and if I'm in a major-major city (like the capital), it feels weird to be around so many white people, esp ones that I don't know. The weird effects of living in another country... Anyhoo, keep up the great work, chickie! :)

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home